Wednesday Ad Hoc Training Provides Relief for Locked-down SailorsPhil Cragg and Reto Corfu ('Phreto') have staged some informal practice races over a few Wednesday evenings to relieve sailors' jonesing for waterplay.
Obviously addicted to sparing on the sea, crews are still adhereing to important public health guideliines. Apart from the usual RRS, I understand that penalties can be awarded for yelling towards a competitor who is less than 2 metres away (Yelling under 2 metres); it is unsportsmanlike conduct to hail without ppe (Naked hailing); and disqualification from a race can result from fending without sanitizing (foul fending foul).
COVID-19 is still with us and it is important to continue to follow Dr. Bonnie Henry.
Start at 6pm somewhere between Kits Yacht Club and Royalvan. Race Committee is likely a rib with Phil making noises.
- Maximum crew of 2 or 3
- Whitesail only, no spinnakers
- startline between Phil's powerboat "Mongoose" BC sailing orange RIB and a mark
- one windward mark
- Twice around, fairly short racecourse due to boring downwinds, so try for 3-4 circuits?
- 3 minute starts, no flags:
- bunch a whistles = get ready (4 min), 3 whistles = 3min, 2 whistles = 2 min, 1 whistle = 1 min, 1 long whistle = go
- pick the aft corner of transom as boat end of start line wherever Phil is sitting is boat end of the line
- Honour system on OCS, etc.
- usual 1 turn penalty for fouls/2 turns if near a rounding mark
Training circuit will be between Royalvan and Kits. Don't forget to social distance in the boat yard & for launching.